Self-care is not selfish, but society tends to make us feel this way. One of my favorite quotes is “You can’t pour from an empty cup.” You have to take care of yourself first to have something to offer others. If you do not love yourself how can you love someone else. You deserve your time and attention as much as the people around you. When you start loving yourself and focusing on you, you become capable of loving others. So hey you, it’s time to make yourself a priority.
You don’t need permission to put yourself first. Sometimes it is necessary. It’s not easy but it’s worth it. It can be as simple as getting enough sleep, creating a morning routine, working out or taking a vacation. I wanted to share some easy ways to transition into making yourself a priority.
- Write down your goals and commit to them. Get a journal and think about what it is that you want. Write it in intervals, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and a year. When you break it down into small intervals it’s easier to see what it is that you want to accomplish and it also appears to be more achievable. You also have to commit to those goals. Make sure you are checking in whether it’s daily or weekly. Make yourself accountable. Get a planner
- Stop saying yes. Don’t do anything you don’t want to do. Don’t allow others to inconvenience you. You are in control of your decisions so take that power back. Be careful with what you tolerate, you are teaching people how to treat you. Always trust your instinct.
- Listen to your body. Your body talks to you and most times we don’t listen. If you need to rest, rest. Sometimes it’s not convenient but you rather rest now as an option than your body giving out and you have no other choice. Make sure you are eating right, getting enough water and exercising. Get up and take a 5-minute walk at work to just breathe and get your thoughts in order.
- Know your worth. If you wake up every day and know that you put your best foot forward, you are enough. Don’t let others get in your head. You cannot make someone appreciate you so appreciate yourself. Celebrate yourself. Take time to think about all the positive things you love about yourself and always tell yourself that. I talk to myself all the time. Make sure you acknowledge the things you need to work on so that you can continue to grow and be the best version of you. Believe in you.
- Get out of your comfort zone. Try something you always wanted to do. Go on a hike, take a dance class, jump out of the plane, or go on a solo date. Don’t even think about it just do it. Figure out what you love to do and do it like no one is watching. You are capable of amazing things so never limit your mind.
It’s okay to make time for yourself. Give the world the best of you not what’s left of you. I challenge you to make yourself a priority. The prize is happiness.